Pages

Monday 16 September 2013

Martha's vintage tearoom review

We popped into the newest tearoom in Shefford today
Martha's vintage tearoom has opened up next to the dolls house in duck lane in Shefford
We were enticed in by the smell of cooking from the open door......
We decided to sit inside as it was a little chilly, my first impressions were this was not a place I could have brought Freya.
The tables were laid with pretty embroidered cloths over pale blue table cloths and each setting had a china tea cup and saucer.


I liked the feel of the place, it was quiet when we went in and I quite enjoyed the old music they were playing.
I decided to try the soup which we had smelt, it was a homemade onion, my husband ordered an egg sandwich. I don't recall ever having onion soup out and was confused as to the piece of cheese toasted bread floating in the middle, my husband assured me this was normal.
His plate on the other hand was not, he had a little side salad which had been served in another tea cup! The sandwich was served in little triangles like my mum used to make on Sundays for tea and a handful of crinkle cut crisps.


More people came in and someone bought a hanging sign from the wall which was then replaced with anther from the dolls house shop.
My soup was very nice and Mike assured my his sandwich was "the best egg mayo sandwich he'd ever bought" quite something coming from him, he's a bit of a food snob! Lucas shared a bit of everything but proved my point about it not being too kid friendly by grinding a soggy brown sugar cube into the nice lacy tablecloth!
They may have had ones to replace them but I felt everything was too fiddly and delicate to have anything but the best behaved older kids in there.
On the plus side there are the tables outside that you could use if it's nice enough although I expect you would still get the kids juice in a glass, a nightmare for parents of kids who like to lob things around!
My husband had a nice chat with the chef before we left and she told him she'd tried a beetroot and apple soup earlier in the week, that sounded interesting.
The staff were very pleasant and while it was a bit more expensive than we expected it was a lovely enough visit to prompt me to write this and hopefully drum up a little more business for them :)
So if you live in Shefford and haven't tried it yet or if you're visiting, pop in to Martha's vintage tearoom and see what you think.

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own, I was not asked to provide a review and did not receive anything for doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment