Pages

Wednesday 25 September 2013

magic pie

I've been meaning to re write about my experience at 123 magic last week, I have to eat humble pie which is never easy when you're as stubborn as me!

I was very grumpy when I went in, I didn't want to wear a sticker with my name and did make a comment to the mum next to me saying "don't we all need the same sticker saying bad parent?" she just laughed and said "only bad parent, I've got myself down as hopeless too!" which did cheer me up a little.
I went on to moan that I didn't think it would work for Freya as she was autistic and it turned out her son is autistic too so I shut up.

The ladies running it started by introducing themselves and it turned out one of them had an autistic son and the conversation suggested the course was actually aimed at parents of children with special needs.

It still took a while to win me over and I seemed to be the only parent who didn't think it was a problem letting your child take the lead and do stuff to please her for an easy life!

We talked about all the kids behaviours that we'd like to stop and things we'd like them to start doing. We talked about using the 1,2,3 count and the time out punishment.

It was quite nice to hear other parents talking about similar problems to us and to have someone to talk about your child with who could understand your frustrations.

On rating Freya she didn't seem that bad, only scoring 47 out of a possible 100 but a lot didn't apply for her age and when we rated them as either minor but annoying or majorly annoying nearly all of hers went in the majorly annoying :/

We also found out about another course about visual awareness that we asked to be sent on as it seemed it would be useful for us and Freya.

We have another session this week on how to manage the challenging of the counting so we will see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment