Pages

Tuesday 6 August 2013

Freya visits the seals!

Ok I admit it was me that wanted to see the seals but I was confident that Freya would enjoy watching them as she loves most animals and she loves water.
It was very busy as the octonauts were making an appearance and it was also the most expensive entry of anything we did in cornwall!

I put her bee reins on and we waited first to pay then for the bus down to the main site.
It turned out there weren't many enclosures and a talk was being given in one so we couldn't get anywhere near to show her the seal.
It had been raining the night before and Freya only seemed interested in splashing through the puddles!
I managed to direct her along to the underwater viewing for a little while and she did enjoy watching him for a short time.




We tried to go on to the penguins and rock pool but she saw a play area on the way and wouldn't stop screaming until she got to go in. Now I don't mind her playing but it's always so hard to get her to leave and we wanted to see the otters being fed. Still I told her she could have a few goes while we were giving Lucas his bottle.
It has it's pros and cons being oblivious, like most things I suppose. I got stressed because she didn't see why she had to wait in line to come down the slide although she did listen to me even if she looked at me like what for? She on the other hand didn't notice some girl pulling at her backpack to stop her going across the rope bridge!



After much screaming and dropping to the floor like a rag doll we got her moving to the otters. I tried to distract her on the way by pointing out a swan on the lake, in a perfect example of how her chain of thought goes she saw swan on water thought swan boat on water and before I knew it she was back at Woburn in her head not being allowed to go on the swan boat! i can see how she makes the connections cause I think in the same black and white totally logical way but for someone so small it's weird and surprising how fast she thinks.
This lead to the wailing starting again, the play area had been a boat too so she now had 2 boats in her head she wasn't allowed on. The shoes got flung off she dropped to the floor writhing in the bark much to the horror of other families walking to the otter feeding. I picked her up and carried her kicking and yelling so the rest of us could watch the otters being fed.
I tried to sit her on the wall to put her shoes back on as she wanted to run off barefoot across the bark, she wasn't having any of it. Despite wearing my autism top which reads "autism, it's not a processing error, it's a different operating system" the lady's eyebrows next to me couldn't get any higher in her head. After several minutes I asked my partner to have a go. He's much softer and patient than me and eventually he persuaded her to put the shoes back on.
Meanwhile the disapproving woman had fetched her grandson who looked just over a year old and was parading him back and forth in front of us saying loudly "you're such a well behaved boy aren't you darling, would you like a big ice cream?"
As code words go in our house "big ice cream" is the biggest of them all like "code red"  in a good action movie. It's how we got her to go into nursery without screaming, how we get her to wait for nursery days and get into bed the night before nursery. She tells us "go sleep, wake up, go nursery, come home, have big ice cream" and as soon as she comes home from nursery she goes straight to the freezer to get her ice cream.
Therefore hearing her code words just upset and confused her, she wasn't home or at nursery but she would still like a big ice cream and this other kid was getting one and she decided to repeat "big ice cream big ice cream" all the way back to the shop that sold ice cream!
We got an ice cream and with a pounding head I decided to go and wait for the bus to go back to the car park, when it arrived loads of people pushed on and left us standing unable to get on the bus.
To top it off a lady in her forties said loudly to her child while pointing at my top "look that lady's got something wrong with her brain!"

No comments:

Post a Comment