Pages

Saturday 12 November 2016

Sol Pelicanos/Ocas review

So, this is the hotel they film the series "Benidorm" at, don't let that put you off :) I've only watched one episode to check out the hotel, in all honesty I'm a total sucker for a nice looking pool and that's why I chose it.
We've just returned from a weeks stay here. We were in the ocas building in an adapted room as my husband needs his wheelchair some days. The only down side we found for this is the step up to the lift from the pavement entrance but we managed. There is the alternative slope all the way down the side which is ok for going down but he's a bit heavy to push back up lol!
The room was lovely and clean and spacious, we were glad of no balcony as we have 2 autistic children and didn't want the worry of them climbing and falling. There was some noise at night with people coming in late and early in the morning when the staff started as we were at the end of the corridor by the staff stairway but to be honest it was only me that heard it, I'm not the best sleeper, it certainly wasn't rowdy noise.
We found all the staff friendly and polite and all spoke enough English to get by, special mentions go to Laura on reception who was so smiley whenever we saw her and had excellent English and Alejandro in the ocas dining room who always engaged with the children, he was my daughters favourite :) The kids club staff were also very happy, friendly and lively! It was the first time the kids had been to a holiday club and I have no doubt Lucas wouldn't have gone without Freya but if you're worried you can sit within ear or eye shot of the activities. We only used it twice and wish we'd put them in more, it was so lovely to spend a couple of hours lying back under a palm tree with a cold drink knowing the kids were having a great time.
I did struggle a bit with the food as it's 90% fish and I don't eat fish, there was a lot of choice and I am a fussy eater, I would say there was about 5 fish or seafood dishes on offer every evening, some sort of veg, there was always pizza and pasta and soup. I thought I'd discovered I like tiramisu but it turns out I only like the sol hotel tiramisu, the ones we sell here are horrid lol. I always found something to have but was bored of lunch and dinner after 4 days and we ate out at the nearby resteraunt chino (Chinese) which was lovely and very cheap.
Breakfast was amazing, so much choice and lovely. Total continental and cooked choices. My only complaint was that they served chips for breakfast which Freya insisted on having every day and we didn't want to upset her on the holiday and were having enough trouble trying to get Lucas to behave long enough to eat anything. They loved the freedom of going up and getting their own food and it actually allowed them to try new things as it didn't matter if they left it, they could just get something else.
I wasn't overly impressed with what was on offer from the pool bar, mainly chips and dry cakes. There was a separate menu for gold inclusive guests which looked a bit nicer but the normal all inclusive guests had to pay for these. No complaints about the drinks except I wanted to order for the whole family as obviously my husband struggles to carry things but was only allowed 2 drinks so he had to go back to get the 2 kids drinks.
The hotel is so well located, 5 mins walk to the beach which is fine, no need to trek to the ponientes beach, there were lots of fish to look at in the sea on the nearest beach and none on the other one. We did venture to the old town but it was so busy we had trouble enjoying it and ended up spending £20 on a paella that wasn't even very nice. We got a taxi back for the ponientes beach no problem, there is a toilet just off the beach but it is a bit smelly and doesn't include toilet roll.
There are shops and restaurants galore round the hotel.
There's a cash machine right outside the hotel and taxis sit there all day. We went to mundomar for $8 each way. I recommend roundtowntravel for excursions, we went to Guadalest and Valencia and they were both amazing.
Big bonus point for me, I found a washing machine and dryer in the ladies toilets in the Ocas building :) heaven! you always think you've taken enough clothes but with little people they always get filthy after about an hour! I even did a wash before we left to cut down on what I'd have to do when we got home. A wash was $3.50 and $2 for a dry which did the job in one go, not like the ones we get over here!
There's a big choice of pools at the hotel but be warned they're not heated in October and the kids were shivering after 10 minutes. We always found somewhere to sit although the shallow bit where most of the kids hang is always busy.
All in all we had a wonderful holiday, it was our first time in Spain, don't believe all the bad things you hear, we didn't see any of it. See the old towns, they're so worth it. I was very happy with the hotel and am already looking to book at the Sol hotel in Torremolinos for next October.
 
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own, I was not asked to provide a review and did not receive anything for doing so.


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment