Pages

Tuesday 5 November 2013

Aspie dating?!

I discovered the other night that there are dating sites just for people with aspergers. After some general reading about the challenges faced by sufferers it seems proven that you are more likely to have a lasting relationship with someone else with aspergers than a non asd person.

I can see some logic in this, you are more likely to think the same way, maybe understand each others need for obsessive hobbies, but on the whole I don't see how it can work.

I've had many relationships and am aware that I need a laid back man to put up with me, I'm also aware that all of the relationships failed because I had no empathy with my partner. It was for different reasons, not being able to understand why he needed to go and and see his friends, why I wasn't as important as his kids etc

It was somewhat surprising therefore to read the profiles on one of these sites and see that nearly every one said they wanted a partner who could show them empathy?! Maybe they don't understand their own condition or they don't really want someone like them or they mean they just want to be understood.

I don't understand my autistic child any better than I do my non autistic children because they are all different to me, one of my daughters doesn't like noise either but when she moans about noise it annoys me as when I'm making the noise it's necessary and I expect it so it doesn't annoy me then the same as her video game noise doesn't annoy her but drives me nuts.

Surely it's better to have a non autistic partner who can see things from others point of view than one who can only see their own?

There was another article saying people with aspergers simply aren't up to the job of parenting which again made me think you need the balance for the kids too. My husband does the listening and caring side that I find hard and I do the practical and discipline side which he finds hard.
If you had 2 parents with aspergers who don't care about their child's interests then of course the child would feel unimportant, under valued and unloved.

Maybe these couples who strike up relationships from these all aspie sites don't have kids so they don't need to worry?

Speaking for myself I am extremely sensitive and while I'm aware I often voice my opinion without any thought of the other persons feelings I get very upset when people do the same to me. I know that I'm not being mean and I'm just being honest but when someone treats me the same way it feels mean :/

I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced an aspie-aspie relationship or anyone who thinks that you need the balance of dating someone not on the spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment